Sunday, June 12, 2016

Don't preach hate.

Today I'm not talking about music, and this is the first time in... ages that I talk about stuff which isn't related to music, but here I am. However, I hate to talk about this.

A man armed killed today 50 people in a LGBT+ club in Orlando, called Pulse, and injured at least 53. The media informs that it was planned and also, according to Obama's words "we know enough to say this was an act of horror and act of hate". 

You've probably heard these heartbreaking news and I'm not surprising anyone by sharing these news with you. 

I'm writing about this because it hits home, because I cannot help but tear up everytime I just think about what happened. You might be thinking, "but you didn't know them, they weren't related to you" - it doesn't matter. And, actually, I'm not that different from the people who were killed today in Orlando. 

The same way that when it happened in France and the people killed were in a rock show I thought "it could have been me", I think it today. That's why today I ask for your attention and beg you to read this until the very end. 

Hate will lead us nowhere, hate isn't the solution to any problem. No matter who you are, your religion, your beliefs, your gender, your skin color, your sexual orientation, your age, your nationality... we are all human, we deserve to be treated as what we are... different, but equal. 

I know we live in a society that tells us to hate whoever/whatever's different, but today I ask you to burn all those bridges, say goodbye to all the insults they taught you. You'll probably be thinking, "but I didn't kill anyone, why do I have to change?"... because we need to preach love, we need to put our lit. 

Tomorrow, don't call that guy from high school "faggot", don't call that girl from your neighborhood "tranny", don't insult that person who has different beliefs than yours... don't preach hate. Whether you believe it or not, by not doing that you will actually make a difference, a positive one. If you do the opposite thing, you're stimulating hate. Which side would you prefer to be in?

I join the path that leads to a brighter future, to a better world in which we all can be ourselves without being afraid of getting hurt, of being harassed or killed. I join the side in which I'll find people determined to make a better world for all of us. 

Show the world that we're better than this. Maybe we cannot change the whole world, but we can change someone's world. I am a part of the LGBT+ community, I'm not any less of a person because of that, and I'm proud of it. Never be ashamed of your true colors - never make someone feel ashamed of their true colors either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment