Friday, October 16, 2015

"I Don't Wanna Go to Bed"

Hi guys!

First of all, I wanted to thank you all, because recently this blog has reached 6,000 reads, which is totally sick! So, thank you so much, it means a lot to me :)

Well, today, the pop-punk band Simple Plan has released their brand new single "I Don't Wanna Go to Bed", with its official music video. This song has a lot to be talked about, so there we go. 

Let's be honest, this song doesn't seem to have a good acceptance among Simple Plan fans. Why? People don't like change, which is nothing new - and this song show us a different side of this band, which is pretty separated from their pop-punk sound from older albums. Nonetheless, that's not something new either, since their latest full-length album "Get Your Heart On!" had some tracks like "Summer Paradise" which is a pop, radio friendly song.

What's the "problem" with that? Why do fans don't truly agree with that? 

Before I carry on, I want to clarify that this is the opinion I've seen in most of the fans, reading comments and listening to different opinions - which doesn't mean that it's what everyone thinks. 

Simple Plan fans, mostly, are people who started getting into this band because of songs like "Welcome To My Life", "Perfect", "I'm Just A Kid"... all these pop-punk songs, as their earlier albums, are songs about being young, angry at the world, feeling and being rejected, being left out... basically the emotions that people experience while growing up. After all, that's what pop-punk music is mostly about - being young, rejected, and not finding a place to belong, summing-up.

For this reason, it's easy to understand that fans don't quite agree with this "change" that is visible in this song. But, don't freak out guys, "Get Your Heart On!" and "Get Your Heart On: The Second Coming" had songs which were more "pop", but they still had the kind of songs which were relatable and accurate. I bet you can't argue with me that "Lucky One", and "This Song Saved My Life", per example, are very relatable and accurate, right? And, to me, "Summer Paradise" brings me some really sweet memories.

On the other side, they're no longer teenagers, they've grown up and they want to experiment with different things. I wouldn't want to do always the same if I were a musician, would you? I would like to try different things, I don't know. 

Believe me, I prefer the relatable and emotional songs rather than the catchy radio friendly ones, but, truth  be told - no band stays the same forever. Maybe, instead of looking at it in a pessimistic way, we should see it differently. After all, whenever we want to listen to the relatable songs, we can. And different songs with different sounds isn't that bad. Don't you think so? 

Truth be told - the video is funny, and the song is rad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment